Saturday 5 March 2011

Spring is here...*

...which means it's the time of year where I usually start spring cleaning but then never get round to giving anything away. I'm very well intentioned but I do love my bits, my knicks, and my knacks. My family is the sort which is very old fashioned; a LOT of stuff gets passed down 'for posterity'. My sister is a trendy minimalist. I am a clutter-bug.
I have things which I almost never use, but can't get rid of them because they look nice on my dressing table. Despite owning a laptop and a heck of a lot of other tech gear, I still have my grandfather's type-writer (the sort that goes 'ping' when you get to the end of a line). I have vintage crockery, glassware, and enough books with fine bindings to have my own library; all of which I'm quite attached to.

This year, however, I really must get rid of at least one item. I can't let this year be another where everything I separate to one side works its way back into my cupboards or wardrobe. This year will be different. I've started with my shoes. I really do have too many. Some which I've only worn once and decided were too uncomfortable and relegated to the back of the shelf. They really must go!

Despite my best intentions, I may have become a little over zealous. In order to avoid giving away some of my more treasured possessions (a 50s hand beaded evening dress, a tea dress from the 40s - not to mention my vintage handbags!) I've started small. As a result, when I woke up today and looked for my 'rough clothes' that I wear for D.I.Y. as well as painting and cleaning I discovered that seem to have got rid of a rather large portion of the clothes that I wear most often.

Despite my best intentions it seems that I can't win. This won't stop me from trying, but it may make my life a little complicated for a while; then again I find "complicated" makes life a little more interesting.

*Whilst I know that, technically, spring starts on the 21st of March I prefer to go by whether or not the flowers are blossoming. The daffodils have started coming through, which means it is now Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment